This chestnut-backed chickadee was photographed right next to our bird feeder.
I am often asked why I chose the name “Chickadee” for this Montessori Children’s House. The truth is, it came to me in an intuitive flash, on a summer day in 2010. Afterwards, I tried to write down the thoughts that led to this inspiration.
- A chickadee is a small, vibrant bird which is active in all seasons, just like children.
- Chickadees are present and lively throughout the Northwest and beyond, part of our natural world.
- It is a bird known for its curiosity and visibility, just like children.
- Its song matches its name, so it’s a bird easily learned and identified by children. Onomatopoeia.
- Small, natural, unique, full of life – chickadees and Chickadee Montessori.